Photographer Luke MacBride

Luke MacBride is a Canadian Photographer based in Accra, Ghana. He has lived and worked in New York City, Valencia Spain, Toronto Ontario and Shanghai China. He traveled to over 70 countries in the past 20 years and he always has his camera at his side. We conducted a short interview with him.


In which ways does travel impact on your photography? 

Traveling is a must for me. It may not be for everyone, but it gives me perspective on people and the world in general. I take a lot of pictures and when I look back at them over the years I usually remember how I felt at that moment and who I was with at the time. In some ways it helps create a type of narrative for my life. I don’t think of my photography as something static, but rather as an ongoing story of how we slowly change and evolve as individuals if that makes any sense. 

Taking photographs on different continents or of different cultures is exciting. Every place I go I feel like I catch a glimpse of what life’s like for the people who live there. I think anyone who’s ever taken a vacation gets to experience that when they go somewhere. We all have that thought of “could I live here?” Personally, I think we’re all very similar. Yes, we may look different or believe in different things, but deep down we all want to laugh, feel loved and truly experience life. I like to think about the “big picture” a lot and I think traveling helps me do that. 

Luke McBride

Which is your favorite destination and where would you want to go next? 

I’ve been asked this question a few times and I find it really hard to give a specific place as my ‘favorite’. I think I’ve liked them all for different reasons. I can remember the first time I visited New York City and how I enjoyed that sense of anonymity and insignificance. The first time I saw The Great Wall of China or Petra in Jordan, or seeing a giraffe run in the wild and look as if it were moving in slow motion. All of the destinations come with a different set of variables attached to them. How old I was, the new people I met, the unexpected fun nights that happened spontaneously. All these things are a part of the destination for me and so are the photos I capture while being there. I don’t have a specific place I want to go next, but I do want there always to be a next.

Luke MacBride

How do you define your photography style?

Style is not something I consciously think about when I take pictures. I go after what I like and if it makes me happy or appeals to me, I go for it. However, I have come to the realization that I like to see my photographs in a sort of ‘fantasyland’ style sometimes. I turn them into something that looks like it belongs in a children’s book. Honestly, this often happens unconsciously. I don’t set out with that goal in mind, but they do sometimes start to look like paintings or some kind of photo-art when I’m done working on them. So, I guess that’s my style?

Luke MacBride

What inspires you? 

Mostly people. People inspire me to see things in a different way and to constantly evolve as a person. I sometimes think of my 18 year old self taking pictures and getting them developed at the store and I can still relate to him today. Other times, I think of that younger me and cringe at the things I said or did. Maybe one day I’ll look back at myself today and think the same thing. Regardless, the plan is to keep moving forward and seek out new inspiration because there’s a lot of it out there. 

Luke MacBride

Is collaboration important? What kind of collaborations are you interested in?

I’m all for it. I don’t go around sending emails asking to collaborate with every artist or photographer I know. But, I’m definitely open to it. I’d be happy to work with anyone that has an interesting idea. 

Luke MacBride

What are your plans for the next 5 years?

Stay happy. Is that a good enough answer? Ideally, to continue to see my photography as something I can always do regardless of age or situation. I’m more comfortable now showing other people my work than ever before. I think I used to see photography as something that was very personal to me, as if it were my own unique time capsule or something along those lines. It sounds silly to say out loud I know. I guess as I got older I lost that fear of other people judging or not liking what I like. It’s actually a great feeling to know yourself and what you truly like and want. It allows you the freedom to bypass a whole set of problems that come with caring too much about what everyone else thinks. I think it takes a lot of courage to live the life you truly want.

Luke's photography exhibition will be in January at Terra Alta in Accra, Ghana.

More info:

Website: https://www.lukemacbride.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/luke_macbride

Popular Posts