Interview with artist Ale Osollo

Ale Osollo was born in Chihuahua (Mexico) in 1979. Her childhood, adolescence and youth were spent in a society bursting with Mexican customs and traditions. In her mind and spirit dwells the magical fantasy that has accompanied her in dreams since she was a child. Art gave Ale the outlet to capture this other world using materials that were within her reach at the time - such as vegetables or fruit from the refrigerator and even toilet paper. Today, her works are narratives, rich in symbolism that draw on heritage.



Artist: Ale Osollo

What is important in an artist's attitude towards art that makes the piece of art outstanding? 

When creating an artwork, I become a part of the piece. I leave the noise of the everyday behind and concentrate on the here and now. I am present. I feel it. One of the best experiences is immersing my hands in whichever material I am working with at the time. I enjoy the sensation of handling a piece of clay, for example. Like a blank canvas, it's not until an artist uses their hands and tunes into their emotions that it becomes something special. It is a way to express your feelings, embrace them and be aware. Like the saying, "cooked with love", I create with love.

Ale Osollo
“When creating an artwork, I become a part of the piece. I leave the noise of the everyday behind and concentrate on the here and now. I am present. I feel it.” ~ Ale Osollo

Why are you inspired by magic fantasy?

Magic fantasy is my source of light. For me, it is alive and also lives in me. 

Tuning in to this world saves me, it reverses all the negatives in my life and turns them into positive, healthy thoughts and teachings. My fantasy world is something I enjoy exploring and developing every day. It's like playing or rewriting something that you think has been set in stone.

I think we all have a magical fantasy world, but some are not comfortable admitting to it or using it for fear of being judged or labelled as a crazy romantic or a dreamer.

Ale Osollo
Pelele”, Mixed media on canvas, 2018

Arty-Fact: "Pelele is a character in my imagination. He has been a presence from the time I began human figure studies. He has appeared again and again to take life in my imagination. He is a reflection of me. What is echoed back in the canvas is an interpretation of my soul. The scene depicted in this work comes from an imaginary world reflected in a puddle of water. A portal into another world. From there, you can see what the mind invites you to create, each with their imagination can see what their reflection suggests." ~ Ale Osollo

How do you feel every time you get inspired?

Every time I am inspired, I get goose bumps. The pores of my skin change and my cells rejoice! 

I feel empathy when faced with sad topics, and it makes me want to fix the sadness.

Coincidences are not just random moments. They are part of a puzzle when once put together makes total sense. I take them as signs. I may be walking on an uncertain path, but something inside me encourages me to follow it, knowing that I am not alone, but part of humanity. We are all connected. 

Sometimes there is no happy ending, but at least I felt it and tried.

Ale Osollo
En El Mismo Barco”, Mixed media on canvas, 2020

Arty-Fact: "The premonitory silhouettes appear and disappear depending on the view of the perceiver.

"Considered within an impressionistic and figurative style, the work suggests to an indefinite group of people, sometimes more, sometimes less, travelers in a boat.

"Together or apart, there is an interconnectivity in their food, culture, race - we are all part of the boat.

"Honouring unity with my life, knowing that we are one.

"Honouring my unity with life, realising that everything is one.

"As individuals, not all of us are alike. We have different lifestyles, beliefs and perceptions.

"When we begin to understand this concept of life in unity, the idea of a personal "I" will lead us to the universal "I"." ~ Ale Osollo

What is your favourite process? 

My favourite process is the middle part between imagining and landing a concept. It is where ideas rain down, and my mind searches desperately and quickly for the materials to turn these thoughts into reality. It's the process of imagining what the concept must be, the order that my puzzle needs to be solved to make a composition. 

I find it is much more productive if, during this moment, I add music, smell, warmth, a cup of tea or coffee. Immersed by a concept where my mind is focussed solely on this, I have mistakenly taken a sip of my dirty paintbrush water instead of my coffee. 

I have always had a problem with expressing myself vocally and ensuring I explain myself adequately and concisely in a dialogue everyone understands. That is why I feel that a piece of art is where I am free to express the more complex and empirical thoughts like in my mind where everything is expressed without hesitation. Painting is my language.


 
 

What is an unexpected tool / equipment that you discovered to make your art?

Well, life presents different things to me, the most usual thing is a brush, but due to my multiple art activities, I have had to force myself to find everything. I have gone through homemade spatulas, rollers, mops, brooms, mirrors, threads and fabrics. In terms of liquids, it is a huge list since every day I explore new ones. I love going to the hardware store or learning about different processes and materials. It is forever a learning experience. This is why I am fascinated by my artistic friends and acquaintances as they share their techniques, and I share mine. 

My more spiritual tools include music, holy water from churches, candle scents, aromatherapy oils, the herbs of a good tea ... the same smells that the paintings give off.

A tool can be the terrible painful whirlpool your soul is going through. It can also be the support of a friend who comes to listen or accompany you, the laughter of the people who enter and leave the house, or the children running and playing, the current situation of your country etc.

I am accompanied by my life partner who is passionate about art. The unconditional company of my children surrounds me. The love that I feel from my family also becomes a tool for my creations.

Whose art influences you the most?

Van Gogh was a passionate, misunderstood being. He saw beyond this world which distorted his impressionist works in a very heartfelt way. I admire him a lot.

Gustav Klimt has an unprecedented elegance in the bearing of his works. His works feel alive to me, and his compositions are exquisite.

My countrywoman Frida Kahlo is a woman who made her pain her most potent tool. She raised my country with her art and is an icon. 

I always think of these characters and feel that in some way, they live in me when I paint. I have eternal admiration for them. I could never copy them because I don't have that capacity, but I do like to remember their essence because they inspire me, and that is also reflected in my works.

Ale Osollo
“Rarely are things black and white.” ~ Ale Osollo


Popular Posts