Dr. Kenneth Pettine of Direct Biologics talks on his work as scientific research consultant

Kenneth Pettine is blazing his way through retirement creating patent after patent for his groundbreaking research into new products containing stem cells and CBD compounds. His goal has been to harness the natural healing potential of stem cells. 

From 1990 through 2016 Dr. Kenneth Pettine had a thriving practice as an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon in Northern Colorado. He is considered to be a pioneer in spinal stem cell therapy. Always interested in leading-edge science, Kenneth Pettine, MD was heavily involved in stem cell research. At one time, he required two full-time research investigators for his projects. In addition, Kenneth Pettine was the principal investigator for 18 different FDA IDD studies. The studies were on spinal implants non-fusion technology.



In 2007, Kenneth Pettine was approached by a company that invited him to test the first FDA phase one human study with biologics. Patients were injected with juvenile cartilage cells. The remarkable results were reported one year later in the Journal of Neural Surgery. Seventeen out of twenty people were completely cured of chronic back pain, eliminating the need for major surgery.

Now at Direct Biologics, Dr. Kenneth Pettine is a scientific research consultant. He continues to pioneer innovative products that prevent skin from aging, prevent hair from going grey, restore hair to its natural color, cures balding and more. His new goal is clear, he is determined to harness the natural healing potential of stem cells in conjunction with CBD.

Where did the idea for you to work as a consultant come from?

It is strategically beneficial for me to work with Direct Biologic as a Scientific Research Consultant.

What does your typical day look like and how do you make it productive?

My best friend is my Mac. I start my day at about 6:30 in the morning. After starting my day, I spend roughly eight to ten hours a day doing stem cell research and more recently, CBD research. I file a lot of patents. As a matter of fact, iIn the past year, I have filed 23 patents. The patents involved various aspects of this stem cell product and CBD. There is a lot of overlap between the stem cell product and the CBD product that we have. They work in your body symbiotically. Additionally, the internet provides a world of information at your fingertips. Aside from my research and patent filing, I make sure to get in some exercise each day as well just to maintain a healthy balance of work and exercise.

How do you bring ideas to life?

My best ideas come from my dreams. I always keep something to write with next to my bed, so that I can write them down when I’ve just finished dreaming. Most of the time, these ideas come early in the morning just past REM sleep. It is at twilight when ideas come into my mind. It is when you’re not quite awake and not still asleep.

The next step to a good idea is to file a patent. I am in the process of negotiating with six different CBD companies. I want to create CBD products that can actually DO something. I want to correlate CBD levels. That would require researching laboratories that can do serum CBD levels at a fair cost, and in a way that allows you to do clinical research.

We will be able to have the data from double-blind product test studies with authentic follow-up results. If you have a product that works, you move it forward with confidence in published research evidence. We can use high-quality 3D imaging and high tech analytical data to objectively show the before and after-effects of the quality of the collagen. We want to show evidence of the effectiveness of the product rather than the glitz and glimmer of a marketing campaign.

I've located one lab and obtained partial ownership in it. This lab has the capability of determining what a person's CBD levels are. They simply prick their finger onto a card and send it in for analysis. No one has done that before. There is power in having data and information.

What is one trend that excites you?

What excites me is the use of stem cells, not only for anti-aging but for autoimmune disease and arthritic problems, incorporating CBD into all of it is even more exciting. We are in the very initial stages of this research. This is the world that I am focused on.

What is one habit of yours that makes you more productive every day?

I work from home. Usually, around two o’clock my brain seems to become fatigued. I have a cup of coffee. Then, I meditate for about fifteen minutes.

What advice would you give your younger self?

I would tell younger Kenneth Pettine not to be so trusting with strangers. I have a tendency to trust people even though I don’t actually know them. I have trusted people to my own detriment. People should earn your trust before you give your trust, that’s definitely what I’d advise younger Kenneth Pettine.

What is something that you know to be true that almost nobody agrees with you on?

What you may think is the truth or reality is likely not the case. If you allow yourself an open mind, your opinions may change or modify as you allow more information to enter.

What is the one thing you do over and over and recommend everyone else do?

This may sound cheesy, but I believe that everyone should tell their wife over and over that you love her. I am happily married for 41 years. She is a total ten inside and out and she keeps me even and productive. Life is good.

What is one strategy that has helped you in business? Please explain how.

I believe that one strategy that is key is honesty, along with your ability to provide facts. In science, there is bias and some opinions. If you make a concerted effort to communicate the facts and have an innovative approach you will be successful.

What is one failure you had as an entrepreneur, and how did you overcome it?

The biggest and only business failure I have ever had was when I trusted a person with my business. It ended up with a betrayal of devastating proportions. I had to learn not to be so trusting until I can understand an individual's intentions and circumstances.

What is one business idea that you’re willing to give away to our readers?

Someone can become a distributor for Direct Biologics and make six to seven figures a year. Second people should look into the CBD marketplace. It is legal in Canada and becoming legal more and more in the United States.

What is the best $100 you recently spent? What and why? (personal or professional)

The best hundred dollars that I've spent recently was by giving it to a lady from my church. She used it to get a very much needed massage. It was the first massage she ever had. She really appreciated it.

What is one piece of software or a web service that helps you be productive? How do you use it?

I use Word with my research all of the time.

What is the one book that you recommend our community should read and why?

The Soul of America by Jon Meacham - The author describes his faith in America

What is your favorite quote?

Innovative spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. By Albert Einstein

Key learnings: Write up 3-5 bullet points summarizing the key learnings from your interview.

● If you allow yourself an open mind, your opinions may change or modify as you allow more information to enter.
● People should earn your trust before you give your trust.
● The best ideas come from dreams.

Popular Posts