Dr. Joon Song talks on his specialization in robotic myomectomy surgeon

The son of an obstetrician and gynecologist, Dr. Song has been surrounded by the industry his entire life. Prior to earning his Ph.D. in specialized endocrinology, Dr. Joon Song served as an attending physician for ten years after earning his medical degree in South Korea. After serving as one of the physicians at the National Medical Center in Seoul and completing his military service as a medical doctor for the South Korean military, Dr. Song entered a fellowship program for reproductive biology at Yale University to expand upon his medical knowledge.

Dr. Song is a highly respected robotic myomectomy surgeon, having successfully completed over 2000 laparoscopic surgical cases in his 27-year career. A highly experienced gynecologist, Dr. Song looks to find new innovations for improving patient care via technology. In 2012, Dr. Joon Song founded his own private practice in New York City, Robotic Gynecology & Women’s Health. At his practice, Dr. Song performs a wide range of procedures focused on reproductive conditions and other areas of women’s gynecological health.

Throughout his career, Dr. Song has earned numerous certifications and awards including certification from the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the President Award from the Society for Gynecology Investigation, and the Young Scientist Award from the Japanese OB/GYN Society.


Tell us a bit about what you do.

I am a gynecologist who owns and operates my own private practiced based out of New York, New York. I currently specialize in robotic surgery, with a primary focus on myomectomy procedures. My patients who undergo robotic surgery have extremely high success rates, with 99% of them being discharged within the same day.

I currently have 30+ years of experience with sonograms, I have the technical knowledge to ready very small details to determine my findings. My experience and understanding of gynecology mean that my patients will have minimally invasive procedures and decreased recovery periods.

What gave you the idea for (what you do/your company)? How did it start?

I was born into a medical family, growing up my father was a practicing OBGYN. During my early 20s when I was attending medical school, I would help my father with whatever I could. During this time, I learned from my father what it takes to run a successful practice and learned how to create meaningful relationships with clients. When I earned my board certification during my early 30s, I joined his practice and helped introduce new technologies to his practice, including sonograms and laparoscopes. From there, my interest in operating my own private practice grew, and eventually led me to where I am today.

What’s your favorite thing about your chosen profession?

While it may sound generic, my favorite aspect of my profession is helping people who are struggling with some form of ailment. When I was a younger man, proudly working as a medical officer for the Korean Military, I was stationed in an isolated suburban area. While on call during a particularly intense snowstorm, a young woman suffering from a non-stop hemorrhage as the result of a c-section, was admitted into my care. Due to the intensity of the snowstorm and the isolated area, I was quickly running out of options for how to best care for this young woman. I ended up transferring my own blood into the patient and operated to save her life. This is one moment of many that truly stands out and reminds me what it is I love about my career. I am always more than happy to be of assistance to anyone needing my medical expertise.

What keys to being productive can you share with us?

A major key to being productive in the medical industry is to embrace new technologies. There are some seriously exciting medical instruments being released due to technological advancements and embracing these devices has allowed me to be extremely productive. Technology is allowing for minimally invasive procedures which allows for quicker procedures with less downtime to recover. Adopting technology is necessary for productivity.

Tell us one long-term goal in your career.

Being born into an OBGYN family meant that I grew up as a gynecologist. My long-term career goal is to develop a fully comprehensive gynecology practice, as I currently feel as though I am only focusing on part of gynecology.

What’s the most valuable lesson you’ve learned through the course of your career?

One of the most valuable lessons I have learned throughout my career is the importance of caring for your patients. I treat each one of my patients with the attention and respect that they deserve, which has translated to their trust in me. My patients believe in me and follow my career wherever I go. I believe that the only way to achieve this is through building relationships, and that is something I learned from my father.

What advice would you give to others aspiring to succeed in your field?

I think consistency is one of crucial key to succeed. It is very simple word, but not easy to keep it, especially there are many bumpy in the road. To another medical professional looking to open their own private practice, in order to find success, you need to be consistent.

Consistency is difficult to attain, but as the simple word suggests, acting in the same way will create a baseline of care. Your patients will notice your consistency and sing praises of your care, you will succeed if you are able to consistency deliver a high level of quality care for your patients.

What are your favorite things to do outside of work?

Besides my career, I find solitude in my family, in God, and in sound. When I am in times of doubt, I turn to my sons and the Lord. I find peace when I read my Bible, the stories and lessons taught bring me joy.

I enjoy collecting various combinations of vintage vacuum tubes, to add to my listening experience. The reason I collect various combinations is because each combination of tubes provides a unique sound and color. One of my favorite combinations that I currently have is a German and French set, which characterizes accurate sound with a sparkling and colorful display.

Name a few influential books you’ve read and/or websites you keep up with that you’d recommend to readers.

There is no shortage of inspirational books available to read, but the two that have resonated most with me is the Bible, and Napoleon’s Glance written by William R. Duggan. I suggest to all readers of this interview to open your bible, open your heart to God, and learn the lessons the Bible shares. For those looking to better understand strategy, I would strongly recommend reading Napoleon’s Glance, it has helped me further understand strategy.

What advice would you give your younger self?

I have always dreamed of being the founder of a comprehensive gynecology practice. Unfortunately, when I was starting my medical career, my father was not interested in opening a comprehensive gynecology practice as it was not exactly aligned with my father’s business. I would tell my younger self to push my father a little harder on that. As my side of the business grew, I should have pushed harder – sometimes I think to myself, it could have been different, but ultimately, I am very happy with my position in life.

Popular Posts