Western Fence Co - Interview with Jason McLaughlan

Family businesses always end up facing hard times at some point. This was inevitable for Western Fence Company, Inc. The McLaughlan family had been running this friendly fencing company in the Utah area since 1948. Their business was run successfully for the first forty years. However, things began to change whenever the market changed in the area. Western Fence, Inc. was slowly being run into the ground by the individuals that were in charge. The business would eventually face bankruptcy in the early 2000s. However, there was a change in the way things were done that would eventually save the business.

Jason McLaughlan bought all the shares of the company in 2003. He would become the sole proprietor for the business and had a plan to save what his family had worked hard on. Success came relatively easy for Jason McLaughlan. He would utilize new business tactics to improve the way the business was run. The company would find themselves experiencing more innovations than ever before. Jason believed in staying relative on the market. This way of thinking saved the company from the brink of bankruptcy at the right time.

Jason continues to run Western Fence Co. and has big plans to give back to the community. He believes that the community is responsible for giving the company a second chance and helping them survive. Western Fence Company continues to thrive under Jason's leadership and shows no signs of slowing down.


How did you get started in the servicing industry?

I always knew that I was put on this earth to help others. Becoming the sole proprietor of Western Fence Company was only natural. I wanted to turn this business around and give back to the community. They deserved much more than what they were getting in the past. The rest is history.

What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

The biggest accomplishment of my career was whenever I signed the documents to accept the sole-proprietorship position of Western Fence Co. Company. Many people do not know about the hard work that my family put into this business over the years. There were too many outsiders telling us how to run the business. Becoming the owner of the business was the first step towards recovery. I'm grateful that I took that leap of faith.

Is leadership your biggest passion?

It truly is. I feel like I can make a difference in the world by providing people with excellent leadership. My goal is to enable people to become the best versions of themselves. A good leader is someone who is digging the trenches with his or her men. I am constantly working at the ground level with my employees to ensure our company is as great as it can be.

What motivates you?

Hard work is what motivates me to become a better person. I believe that a lot of Americans have forgotten about the ordeals of hard work. They want everything handed to them. Unfortunately, this mindset will get you nowhere in life. I want to see my company become the best version of itself. This is why I push myself to work as hard as possible to see this future become a reality.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

Always research and innovate. Nobody had access to social media ten years ago. It would eventually revolutionize the market. We have utilized all innovative tools that have been given to us to make sure that we stay ahead of the competition.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

Steve Jobs was truly ahead of his time. I look up to him whenever I find myself doubting my practices. He would think outside the box and always get results. I told myself that I wanted to be that way whenever I run my business.

What is the next step for you?

Reaching out to the community more often. We have some big plans in store to give back to the community and ensure that they feel appreciated. It is because of them that we are here where we are today.

What are some of your favorite tools and resources for your work?

I always use Google Docs. It helps me keep everything organized and easily accessible. You wouldn't believe how much time I waste losing important documents on my computer [laughs]. Google Docs helps me fix all of that with their excellent services.

Leadership can be taxing, how do you relax?

I make sure to disconnect and spend time with my family as often as I can.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector?

Always research the market. Find innovative things that people have never thought of and capitalize on them.

Popular Posts