Interview with photographer Dan Doyle

Dan Doyle Pleasantville photographer has a unique perspective which makes his work stand out in a crowded field. Dan Doyle got his start as a photographer in high school. Growing up in Pleasantville, he frequently photographed the beautiful natural areas in Ohio. He also experimented with portrait photography. His high school teachers encouraged him to explore a career in photography. He attended Ohio State University, where he was an art major with a concentration in photography.

After college graduation, he toured Europe and honed his photography skills. Along the way, he took the time to enjoy hiking, his favorite activity. When he returned from Europe, he opened a photography studio in Jackson Heights, Queens. Recently he has opened another studio in Pleasantville, Ohio where he grew up. Each of his studios has a different focus, with his New York studio focused on portrait photography and video production.

Doyle is excited to open his new studio in Pleasantville, bringing the area a new approach to photography.


How did you get started in the Photography industry?

I got started in photography while I was still in high school. At the time, I was just beginning to explore what I could do with a camera, and I took some experimental portraits of my friends. My photos were published in the yearbook, and I got a lot of buzz among my classmates. When I was in high school, my teachers encouraged me to go into photography as a career. I was an art major in college with a photography concentration, and I learned a lot about composition and design as well as art history. I feel like I graduated from college with a truly well-rounded mindset.


What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

My biggest accomplishments have been starting my studios. Anyone can pick up a camera and become a photographer, but it takes a particular amount of work to run a successful studio. I am excited to meet all of the challenges that may happen in the future.

Is photography your biggest passion?

Photography is definitely my biggest passion. I take photos every day, even when I am off work. Photography is the way I express myself to the world. I take my responsibility as an artist very seriously. If I am not taking pictures, I feel unfulfilled. I love having a record of everything I have known and experienced in my life.


What motivates you?

Innovation motivates me. I am always looking for new ways to meet photography’s challenges. Whether it is a new videography technique or a new lens for one of my cameras, I am always expanding my skill set. I am also motivated by a desire to make photography my life’s work. When I am gone, I want people to be able to refer to my photographs to understand who I was.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

There is a lot of competition in New York. There is less competition in Pleasantville, which is one reason why I decided to open a studio at home. It also enables me to spend more time with my family who all live in the local area. While there is a lot of competition, I feel like the atmosphere in New York fosters excitement.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

I am deeply inspired by the legacy of Steve Jobs. He dared to create innovative products that went far outside what was expected at the time. While he wasn’t always the most pleasant person to work for, he was a true visionary. I am also inspired by Mark Zuckerberg, who took a simple idea for a website and changed the world.


What is the next step for you?

I hope that I will continue to keep two successful studios running. I have hired several photographers who match my aesthetic, and I have begun to train them to work based on my personal vision.

What are some of your favorite tools and resources for your work?

I buy a lot of equipment in the course of my work. I have a Hasselblad camera which is truly my pride and joy. Along with this highly expensive camera, I have several more which are not as pricey but take excellent pictures. The software I use when I edit photos is Adobe Lightroom. I am always looking for ways to process pictures more effectively.


Photography can be taxing, how do you relax?

I am an avid hiker. I love to get out in nature and get away from the problems caused by a demanding schedule. Of course, I always take a smaller camera with me when I travel so I can capture the views I enjoy while I am hiking. Living a fast-paced life can interfere with your perception of yourself as a person, and I feel that it is important to step back from time to time.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector?

Start by taking pictures. Take all the pictures you can stand. Without experimenting, you’ll never learn where your special talents lie. I also recommend that new photographers study the basics of design and composition. I recommend Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peters.

Popular Posts