Interview with orthopedic surgeon Dr. Gregg Schellack

Dr. Gregg Schellack is an orthopedic surgeon based in California. He currently practices at the Sutter Coast Hospital. He received his medical training at Des Moines University in the College of Osteopathic Medicine. He was a resident at Loma Linda University, and he interned at the Naval Medical Center at San Diego. 

Dr. Gregg Schellack is passionate about helping patients overcome pain to as great an extent as possible. His practice ranges from high school students with sports injuries to elderly people with arthritis and other debilitating conditions. He takes the time to treat each patient like family, taking their home life and activities into consideration while creating their treatment plan.


How did you get started in orthopedic surgery?

When I was a teenager, I was often injured while playing high school football. I ended up spending a lot of time with my local orthopedic surgeon, and I became fascinated with his work. I looked up to him a great deal and wanted to go to medical school after college.

What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

I believe that my newest patient is always my biggest accomplishment. I don’t believe in resting on my laurels and letting my past work speak for me. I am always seeking better treatment for my patients. My current patients reap the benefits of my past experience. I think that I have grown more skilled as the years have gone by.

Is orthopedic surgery your biggest passion?

I would definitely say that it is. I constantly keep on top of the newest articles in the scientific and medical literature to make sure that I am bringing my patients the most up-to-date care. I live and breathe orthopedic surgery. It can be hard to make myself take much needed downtime.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

I don’t like to think of the medical profession as a competitive one, but I must admit that it is. Doctors compete for patients and for the best resources available. I believe that keeping my skills current makes patients want to choose my practice over competing practices in my area. At the same time, I have taken the time to build cordial relationships and share information with these other doctors.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

I am fascinated by Elon Musk and his ability to succeed in more than one area of business. His automotive and space businesses are both visionary. He does seem to have some personal issues, perhaps related to overwork, but his results are excellent. I am also inspired by Warren Buffett. Most people don’t know that Warren Buffett has promised to give away 99 percent of his wealth to charitable causes after his death.

What is the next step for you?

I would like to continue working for a long time. I have so many ideas that I would like to put into practice with my patients. I am happy with my current hospital, but I do have an interest in moving to a different part of the country to be closer to my adult children. At this point in my career, I feel like it would be difficult to start over in a new location.

What are some of your favorite tools and resources for your work?

I read a lot of medical journals. These journals have inspired my work and allowed me to bring new medical information to my patients. I also use my fellow colleagues as resources. I believe that sharing information is one of the most important things a physician can do. Patients will benefit when every physician is working from the same set of information.

Orthopedic surgery can be taxing, how do you relax?

I don’t take as much time to relax as I should. My own doctor is always telling me that I need to slow down a little. When I do have free time, I like to golf. It is possible to golf year-round where I live and it is an important way for me to clear my head. It is also a nice opportunity to network with other doctors and people in the field. I also love to travel with my wife, we are foodies and we love to try new things.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector?

For prospective medical students, I would encourage them to take their work as seriously as possible. Getting into medical school is even more competitive than it was when I got my undergraduate degree. As an undergraduate, I didn’t have the best work ethic, so I almost didn’t get into medical school. I encourage all students to do their best.

Popular Posts