LillyK Photography - Isa Battaglin - Owner/Photographer

Isa Battaglin is an artist wielding a camera in hand to capture the smiles, eyes, and faces of her subjects in natural light. She owns and operates LillyK Photography, based in Los Angeles. Isabelle puts her passion into her work both behind the lens as well as behind the computer screen while editing the headshots. She has mastered a technique of editing that places a mystical touch on the eyes, turning each headshot into a lifelike portrait of her clients.


What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

When I started my photography business I knew nothing about it. I mean, I knew about photography, but I had an old camera, old lenses. I had no knowledge of the industry in Los Angeles (or the world), no idea of how to run my business, what to charge for my work, nor how to pose clients for headshots. Headshot photography fell on my lap by accident, and I trusted my instincts to get going. I did have one person who helped me with my questions and concerns in the beginning, and I am thankful for her, but after that, it was all on me. When I started, I taught myself how to use photoshop and LR (LightRoom), and did my best to improve and get better. Of course, after so many mistakes and disappointments, I finally learned how to grow my business. I also learned about customer service (which is very important - if not the most important thing when you have your own business), about image editing and so much more. So from knowing almost nothing about photography, I became a successful business owner and photographer. I accomplished that all on my own. So I guess that’s my biggest accomplishment, everything else is a bonus!

What motivates you?

My passion - My passion for photography, my passion for the new, and for the different. I like to innovate. I love to learn new things, new techniques, and to try what no one has before. I am definitely not afraid of a challenge when it comes to my work.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

I believe that one of the reasons why I have been doing well in the headshot and photography industry for over seven years is the consistency of my work. Quality - When a client, agent or manager books with me, they know what they’re getting. I stay ahead of the competition by maintaining the impeccable quality of my work while still innovating, always being creative, always learning and improving.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

Steve Jobs is one of them. If I can say another person, who’s not really a business leader I would say I love Michelle Obama, and that she’s a huge inspiration to me. Peter Lindbergh as well. Three amazing and inspirational people!

Being a business owner can be taxing, how do you relax? 

By spending time with my family, watching movies, and staying at home. 

Can you give some advice to those interested in becoming a business owner? 

It’s definitely not an easy thing, and it takes a little while to see the results and also make a profit, but it’s worth it. If you believe in it and have the talent for it, you should do it. Also, don’t listen to the opposition, negative comments or anyone trying to stop you from doing it, follow your gut. Be daring and different!

What is one of the most interesting experiences you've had in your life?

So many, this is a hard one! A personal one is definitely being a mom of 3 kids (1 teen). It’s very interesting and inspiring. They don’t know how much they teach me every day about life and how they inspire me to be both a better person and a better professional. A professional one was definitely starting my own business and learning and growing as I did it. I had no professional training or anyone telling me how to do it, so it’s very interesting to learn on your own, especially in this industry where not many people will guide and help you. No complaints here, honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It made me who I am as a professional and I have so much more to learn and do.

What is the next step for you?

So many things! I have a lot of plans and goals to achieve and at this time, I’m still working on them, so I can’t really share. Other than that, I can say I will still shoot for a long time!

Popular Posts