Award winning artist Diamante Lavendar

Diamante Lavendar is an award winning artist. She has three published books (all which have won awards) with another book that will be published in early 2019. She also has an art site where she uploads all of her work. Diamante has won numerous awards for her art, including winning in the American Art Awards last year and this year for her photography and digital art. We have conducted an interview with her.


Comparing writing music, publishing books and creating art, which is your personal preference in art form and expression?

I don't really have a preference as far as creativity is involved regarding the different things that I do. Generally, I will be in certain moods to either write, create art or music. Each form of creativity is a deep expression of who I am and what I've been through. Everything I create holds meaning for me in a personal way. Sometimes when words can't capture what I want to show I will go to art. At the times when words are bubbling up in me I write. It just depends on how I'm feeling.

Which is your most acclaimed award amongst the numerous awards that you have won? 

I'm truly grateful for every award that I've won. I can't really say that one award outshines another. I've gotten awards involving many facets of life including humanitarian types of awards, creative types of awards, inspirational awards and courage awards. Each has its own benefit of which I'm humbled and deeply honored to have received. I view the awards as the different aspects of life that my work involves as far as life and living is concerned. A lot has gone into what I do and it shows in the awards that I've received.


How has art changed your life? What would you have done if it is not art that you have chosen?

Art is who I am. In every form of which I create. I can't live apart from art/writing/music. It's always been something I've done since I was a child. I wouldn't want to choose another profession unless it would be that of counseling or helping other people with their life journeys which is what I do at my day job. So I guess I've been put where spirit wants me as I've progressed in living. I learned through hardship where I need to be and what I need to do.


What gives you inspiration?

Spirit inspires me deeply. I've lived through a lot of pain and that has inspired me too. I found a need to look beyond difficulty in order to uphold a reason for being alive and continuing on my journey. I've come to realize that life is hard for everyone in one form or another. And I've come to believe that each of us has been put on this planet for a higher purpose or calling. Usually it is something innate within us as my creativity is to me. I'm a firm believer that we each need to use our gifts to help one another thrive while we are here together on earth.

How do you define a great piece of art? What do you aim to achieve in the near future?

I think art or creativity is at its best when it touches something deep within us. And when it can be understood on a level that words may not be quite able to capture. There is a certain magic that can be found even in books that may not be able to be completely explained with pen and paper. I guess you would call it inspiration on a spiritual level no matter what type of creativity you're talking about. That's what really makes people respond to a form of art because it's something that everyone can relate to on a deeply personal level in their own unique way. I plan on continuing to create books, art and music for as long as I can. It's what I love to do and it connects with others. I want to be an inspiration to those who enjoy what I create.

Popular Posts