Photographer D. Scott Carruthers

From an early age, D. Scott Carruthers seemed destined for a career in the visual arts. His parents and teachers identified Carruthers as showing a great flair for drawing and painting prompting his parents to encourage this creative flair for the future. To continue to encourage an all-around education in the arts, the photographer's mother bought him his first camera to assist in developing his framing and sense of perspective. As he attended art school, D. Scott saw his interest in photography grow to include both landscape and portrait images being captured on a regular basis.

Knowing his future lay in the development of his photography skills, D. Scott Carruthers decided to move to the West Coast of the U.S. where he felt he could better explore talents. By the age of 20, Carruthers was already a much sought after photographer who decided to begin his career with the establishment of his studio. Since the launch of his studio, the photographer has gone from strength to strength as an artist and business leader.


How did you get started in the photography industry?

I was a teenager when my Mom bought me my first camera. At school, I had always enjoyed art and creative classes which prompted her to purchase a camera to try and expand my talents. I began my training at art school before heading to California to train as a professional photographer. After a short time as a photography assistant, I decided to open my studio and professionally begin my career.

Is photography your biggest passion?

Along with art in a wider sense, I'd say photography is my biggest passion. I carry my camera everywhere with me to make sure I never miss a moment of inspiration. One of the best things to happen to the world of photography has been the cameraphone which allows anybody to become a photographer.

What motivates you?

I think when you do something you love you don't have to worry about being motivated on a daily basis. My love of photography means I can spend much of my time thinking about my job even when I'm having some free time. When I lack motivation, I think of all the things I could be doing that I hate and suddenly my work focus returns.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

I try always to give my best to my clients and make sure I listen to their needs. Over my years in business, I have discovered the most important aspect of my job as a photographer is to communicate effectively with my clients. It is also important to keep an eye on the latest photographic trends to offer my customers. In the buildup to the soccer World Cup, I was taken with the photos of the English soccer team which had an interesting use of shadow I may bring into my work.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

A business leader I admire is Charles Saatchi, the marketing expert and art collector. The Saatchi brothers changed the way advertisers look to bring their products to the public and invented the modern form of marketing. Although he has been a business success, Charles Saatchi has become one of the main supporters of modern art around the world. As a patron to artists including Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin, he has my admiration for his work.

What is the next step for you?

Continuing from my last answer, I would like to complete more advertising work. I love portrait photography and have met many inspiring people in the California area and beyond. However, I would like to expand my work into other areas to continue pushing myself professionally.

Photography can be taxing, how do you relax?

There are so many ways to relax in California, and I take advantage of my surroundings. I have hiked many trails and love heading north along the West Coast into the beautiful redwood forests of Oregon and Washington. I recently started a yoga class and had found the sense of calm I have achieved important to performing better in my work.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector?

Get some training and then simply take as many photographs as possible. When I was setting out, I would take photos of bands for their marketing materials without expecting any payment for my time. When you first set out on the career of a photographer, it is important to make sure you are taking every opportunity to gain as much experience as you possibly can.

Popular Posts