Kola Adesina - Group Managing Director of the Sahara Power Group

The African power sector has been growing in recent years as the top companies in this industrial area have been looking to incorporate existing and new technologies to create a way of lighting up the continent of Africa in a positive way. The Group Managing Director of the Sahara Power Group, Kola Adesina has excelled and continues to make huge impact as an entrepreneur and advisor to government agencies across the African Continent. Adesina has served as a member of the Presidential Committee for the Accelerated Expansion for the Electricity Infrastructure in Nigeria dedicated to bringing utilities to as many nations and residents as possible.

As the Managing Director of the Sahara Power Group, Kola Adesina is spearheading the expansion of the vibrant enterprise which is an affiliate of Sahara Group, a leading energy and infrastructure conglomerate in more than 20 nations across six sub-continental regions. On account of this success, has become one of the most successful and sought-after business speakers at conferences around the world for individuals who are looking to take a leaf out of his inspirational leadership manual. For Kola Adesina, the desire to lead the African continent to a brighter future sees him mentor young professionals looking to enter this and a range of other industries.


How did you get started in the utility industry?

Having cut my teeth as an insurance agent and made huge progress through diligence and hard work to manage various executive portfolios, I decided it was time to seek new challenges in other sectors. This desire would lead my path to Sahara Group where passion and excellence are key ingredients for success. After excelling in the Group’s core businesses in oil and gas, I would be appointed to head our foray into the power sector. This began what has been an exciting journey in the power sector where Sahara Power Group is currently playing a leading role in the sector.

Is the energy sector your biggest passion?

One of them, for sure and the overriding passion of my career. I take a wider view of my career and life than just the narrow focus of how I make money. Instead, I feel the ability to help younger professionals to reach their goals and achieve a lot in their chosen career path is my true passion in life.


What motivates you?

I am based at the Sahara Power Group headquarters in Nigeria, but I can spend my day working anywhere on the African continent when the need arises. My motivation is seeing the success achieved when the reliable power supply is achieved and installed in isolated parts of the continent. Building a stronger Africa is a major passion for me and drives me to achieve much more than ever for all our stakeholders across the globe.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

Two things, we anticipate and create value for all our stakeholders always. We also treasure relationship management as everything in life starts from a relationship. We have recorded many achievements over the past two decades by being exceptional at what we do. So we say, impossible is nothing and we are never afraid to go the extra mile in the quest to transform the mundane into the extraordinary.

What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

It is hard to narrow down to a single accomplishment, but I do feel the growth of the Sahara Power Group over the last few years is a major achievement in itself. I feel the ability to inspire others and build a successful business acting as inspiration for others who may wish to follow in our footsteps.

What is the next step for you?

I love my role as the Group Managing Director of the Sahara Power Group, and my desire remains how we can light up Africa. On a personal level, I desire to be a mentor to many more young professionals. I see this as the best legacy I can bequeath to Nigeria and Africa.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

Inspiration can come from almost anywhere, but in the business world, I have been reading a lot about the work of the technology genius Steve Jobs who created the Apple brand. The energy sector is technology-based, and the building of a successful global brand like Apple is something we admire at Sahara Power Group.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector?

Learn as much as possible about the power supply sector and continue to learn throughout your career.

Popular Posts