Interview with plastic surgeon Dr. Usha Rajagopal

Dr. Usha Rajagopal is a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in treating women with compassion and care. She is an expert at performing female plastic surgery, breast reductions, and breast augmentations. She also specializes in non-surgical techniques such as lasers and injectables. Her practice, San Francisco Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, has been helping patients from throughout the Bay Area for more than 20 years.


Dr. Rajagopal stays at the forefront of her field, continually incorporating new techniques into her practice. Together with her excellent and highly trained staff, Dr. Usha Rajagopal provides services that enrich the lives of her patients. Dr. Rajagopal was recently featured as the San Francisco Examiner’s Reader’s Choice for Best Plastic Surgeon of 2017.

Dr. Usha Rajagopal had a fellowship in plastic surgery at the University of California, San Francisco before opening her practice in Union Square. She completed undergraduate studies and medical school at the University of Texas at Dallas. While she was training, she was inspired to specialize in plastic surgery. Her years of education and experience make her fully qualified to handle any issues her patients may encounter.

Dr. Rajagopal has devoted her professional career to enriching the lives of her patients. Dr. Rajagopal takes pride in helping women become empowered and more satisfied with their bodies. Dr. Rajagopal also believes in giving back to the community. Her deep interest in philanthropy includes a $500 grant that she makes available to charitable people and organizations. Dr. Rajagopal’s philosophy of effecting positive change in the world goes hand in hand with her commitment to her patients.

Tell me about the daily operations of your business.

In our practice, we see patients for consultations all day. Our patients are often emotional when they describe what they would like to change about their bodies, and it requires a gentle touch to support them. I like to be hands-on with all of my patients, but my expert nurses can perform injections and check in with my patients. I provide most of my surgical procedures in-house in my operating room.

What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?

Knowing that I will help people feel better about their bodies is my motivation. I truly enjoy going into the office each day and interacting with my patients. I enjoy supporting them and encouraging their self-esteem. It’s wonderful to have a patient give you positive feedback about their experience. The look of joy and pride on a patient’s face when the results of her procedure are revealed is amazing.

What are your professional goals?

I want to continue to innovate in my practice, incorporating new treatments and procedures. I hope to grow my practice by word of mouth – a satisfied patient is worth more than anything in my field.

How important is social media to your practice?

Social media is a vital part of my business strategy. I enjoy interacting with patients and potential patients on Instagram. Showing people the possibilities of plastic surgery helps people become less intimidated by the prospect. Online business reviews are also important. My practice thrives on the testimonies of current patients.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in your field?

Medical school and residency are very difficult. All doctors struggle to make it through the extreme work hours and challenging conditions. These days, young doctors are often buried in debt from medical school. Be reassured that your life will only get easier when your studies are complete. Let your passion for helping patients guide you through the difficult times.

Tell me about a recent problem that you solved by making it simpler and less expensive.

I have been developing new procedures with injectable medications that are allowing many patients to avoid surgery. Use of injectables is helping to consolidate costs for my patients. I have also combined two non-invasive procedures, like using lasers and injectables to provide the patient’s desired results.

What is the importance of collaboration in your work?

I often reach out to colleagues and share information. I keep up with the latest studies and new procedures developed by other physicians. No one practices medicine in a vacuum; it is very much a collaborative endeavor. Patient care is improved when doctors share information with one another.

What is your favorite quote?

"You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand." - Woodrow Wilson

Popular Posts