Interview with chief allergist Dr. Summit Shah

Dr. Summit Shah has been at the top of the allergy sector of medical treatments and research for some years and is now the owner and chief allergist at his own company, Premier Allergy. The career of Dr. Shah began with his undergraduate training at the Ohio State University where he also pursued his initial medical training at the Ohio State University College of Medicine.

Dr. Summit Shah was drawn to the field of allergies during his medical training and moved to Boston where he pursued a residency specializing in internal medicine. The final leg of training for Summit Shah was taken when he attended Scripps Clinic and the University of California-San Diego to pursue a greater knowledge of allergies. After leaving medical school, Dr. Summit Shah worked in a variety of locations before returning to Columbus, Ohio to create the Premier Allergy business providing specialized care for adults and children affected by chronic and seasonal allergy symptoms.


What has been the biggest accomplishment in your career?

There have been so many highs over the course of my career it is difficult to pin down one alone. If I had to give a simple answer, I would say being awarded a Healthcare Hero Award for my work researching and treating food allergies. My team at Premier Allergy work so hard, and I share every accolade with them, so it was an award I share with my colleagues who are still at the company and those who have already moved on.

Is being an allergist your biggest passion?

Without a doubt. From my early childhood, I always felt I was always drawn to the medical profession and felt that was my natural home even though none of my family had any medical experience. After attending medical school, I moved out to Boston and began conducting some research about allergies which led me to California and even more study. In my opinion, every region of the U.S. should have a facility like ours at Premier Allergy where patients of all ages can get expert treatment and advice about their allergy issues.

What motivates you?

I wish I had a more entertaining answer for you but helping people is my motivation. As a physician, I get to see the difference my team, and I can produce in the lives of our patients every day.

How do you stay ahead of the competition?

I don't class other allergists and physicians as competition as we share our research through journals and scientific papers. I guess there is competition when it comes to the research we are all conducting but the ultimate aim is to help as many people as possible to live healthier happier lives. Ultimately, we are all working towards the same goal and do often come together to create a team when our areas of research overlap.

Which business leaders, past or present, have inspired you the most?

I'm more of a physician than a business leader, but I do admire James Dyson as a scientist and entrepreneur. What I particularly admire about Dyson is his continues to push himself and his team to make scientific breakthroughs and make the world a better place. The fact the Dyson group is not just amassing money but has invested in a research institute and university campus on the grounds of Dyson's home has only made me admire him all the more.

What is the next step for you?

On a personal level, I hope to continue my research in many different areas, but I have recently been increasingly interested in venom allergies and the problems they cause. As a business, we hope to open more locations and assist many more patients than ever before without any falloff in the quality of our work.

Being an allergist can be taxing, how do you relax?

It is true that my career can be time-consuming and run a business can be stressful. To relax I like to spend time with my family and take long hikes through the Ohio River Valley which has some beautiful landscape to enjoy for myself and my family.

What advice do you have for others who want to enter your sector

Entering any medical field is one of the most difficult and longest personal journies any of us will take in our lives. After completing my residency in Internal Medicine, I could have taken a role in Boston, but I knew I wanted to be involved in the treatment of allergies. My training was time-consuming and hard to complete for my wife and family, but the rewards have been substantial in many different ways. My advice would, therefore, be to embrace every second of training as it will be worthwhile in the long run.

Popular Posts