The Piano - interview with multi-genre author H.J.

H.J. is a multi-genre author, from Ontario Canada. Consistently rated 5 stars. She began writing with a professional legacy in mind at the age of 14 - by the time she was 19, she released her first full-length publication, which is a Fiction/Romance chapter book titled "The Piano". Along with her author work, she also partakes in social advocacy; primarily in the field of Disabled Rights and subsequent accessibility issues, but also environmental conservation. H.J. has also founded "Massive, Mutual Magnificence" and "the NEON movement" and she volunteers for Suicide Prevention causes. We have conducted an interview with her.



How did you become a multi-genre author? When did you figure out that you should not be limited to one genre in your writing?

There was never a defining moment where I ''figured'' my path out; this wasn't a result of any sort of epiphany, I just simply had to go where ever the writing took me. My first book, as mentioned, was a Fiction/Romance - so I started there. And then I found myself writing poetry, and things just sort of expanded from there. It seems, for me, that poetry comes out when nothing else does; so, I guess that genre is part of my ''roots''. Even 'The Piano' (first full-length publication) ends with a small poem!

Besides writing, what else do you like to do? How does that help you in tackling taboo subjects?

Apart from writing, I focus my time in advocacy - which is also where I get my ideas or inspirations for each of the taboo things that I write about; So, you could say it helps with the writer's block and general inspiration.



Which are the three most challenging subjects to write about?

Passion, true love, childhood trauma - the first two are challenging mostly because of societies cynical attitudes; I'm constantly dodging phrases like "that never happens in real life" and things along those lines. Passion, alone, is difficult also because I just get so overcome with the emotion as I'm writing it; it really puts me at a loss for words. which is ironic and incredibly frustrating. Lastly, the 'childhood trauma' topic is challenging just due to it's nature; this topic is never easy for anyone, but I am a survivor of multiple traumas, myself, so sometimes my own pain emerges. As do some flashbacks and such. All of it can get incredibly perplex and exhausting.

To what extent do you practice in environmental conservation? How do you think we can increase the awareness to environmental protection?

The bulk of my conservation efforts started through a little bulletin board that I was generously given during elementary school. Every month for a year, I was permitted to write a piece about any conservation issue. The board would sit in the hallway for other students and staff and visitors to look at. I also became part of the "eco-schools team" for that year; which was a student-based 'club' of sorts that would work to get everyone involved in things like recycling or tree planting. As I got older and graduated, most of my efforts came in the form of charitable donations; although my third book (Kobo ebook, "Pawprint") tackles the environmental issues such as deforestation, and general extinction related to the tiger populations.

On the subject of increasing awareness, I feel like awareness starts at home. I would suggest that others try to become more conscious of their own environmental mark before anything else. Alternatively, I hope that they may also be able to find some tips or guidelines within my books.


Tell us more about your full-length publication, the Fiction/Romance book 'The Piano'. How did you craft the main character(s) in your story?

The characters for this book essentially ''wrote themselves''; meaning that they and the whole of this book are about 60 to 80% inspired or modelled from people I knew personally, as well as some of my own childhood experiences - although I'd like for people to focus more on the aspect of love, as they read it. On a personal level, this story is special because it was built for someone that I love - the love remains just as deeply, to this day.

What is so special about this story? 

In terms of where it fits in the literary world; I would say that it's special in respect to its unique elements. It's unusual to find a romance that will branch out into some traumatic topics...That alone is 'special' but then it's unique for the fact that it can do these things without having the romance lose its impact. Also, the characters essentially "don't have" names, so that's special, too - meaning they're referred to only by their term of endearment for most of the time. Also, the word "dedicate" at the beginning had never been used in such context as mine, before. According to my knowledge and the knowledge of all my editors, it hadn't been - and still hasn't been, to date. So, that's also 'special'.




More info:

Website: https://official-authorhj.yolasite.com
The Piano's website: http://hjthepiano.yolasite.com


Popular Posts