Endometriosis Awareness - interview with Kristina Books

Kristina Books grew up in beautiful Cochrane, Alberta, Canada before she moved to Camrose, Alberta for University where she has lived ever since. She was diagnosed with Stage IV Endometriosis by surgery only a few months after she graduated with distinction from The University of Alberta Augustana Faculty in 2007. 

Unfortunately, Endometriosis has taken a terrible toll on every aspect of her life. Having struggled with daily pain, infertility, multiple surgeries, hormonal treatments, and so much more she felt like she wanted to do something for all of his Endo Sisters, as well as anyone who was dealing with either menstrual problems, chronic illness, or chronic pain. 

After dreaming about opening a shop for years she finally took the leap in January of 2017 and opened The Endo Shop. An e-commerce shop for “All Women with Angry Wombs,” and anyone who is suffering from chronic illness or pain.



How do you intend to promote "Endometriosis Awareness" and why is it so important to do so?

I am always on the look out for new information about Endometriosis and when I find something I feel is worth sharing I post about it on my blog or social media sites. The Endo Shop also does “I Wear Yellow for Endo” Awareness Campaigns throughout the year where we focus on wearing something that is yellow, the color chosen for Endometriosis Awareness, and sharing information about the illness to those around us. It is so very important because there is such a lack of awareness of Endometriosis amongst the general public and misinformation amongst many medical practitioners as well. On average, it takes about a decade for a woman to be diagnosed with Endometriosis and often the treatments we are offered only mask the symptoms. We need to promote awareness of the disease so that there will be more research done and with more research, there hopefully will be a cure one day.

When did you develop this desire to help other women who suffer from Endometriosis?

I developed the desire to help other women with Endometriosis almost immediately after my own diagnosis in 2007. Honestly, I feel that if I can help other women who are suffering from this illness that there is some purpose in my own suffering. I personally know what other women are going through, and I would do absolutely anything to ease that pain in some way.

What are your wishes for "The Endo Shop"?

I truly hope that The Endo Shop becomes a place for women with Endometriosis, or really anyone who is suffering from a chronic illness can come to find something that will help ease their pain or just something to provide a little bit of comfort. Every single one of the items in my shop are things I would use myself, I spend many hours every week researching products and only add items that I think would be truly helpful to my customers, in addition, every item of clothing I choose to add to the shop is loose, or stretchy, and comfortable enough to wear during even the worst flare ups of the disease, believe me, I wear a lot of it myself.

Could you highlight and tell us some features and benefits of 'The Endo Shop'?

When I was diagnosed with Endometriosis, and especially when I was suffering from a flare up of the disease, I found that it could be terribly difficult to go out of the house and shop at multiple stores to find things that would help me get through. I dreamed of one day opening a store that would have items that would be geared towards other women like me.

The Endo Shop is that shop. You can shop from the comfort of your home, at any time of the day or night, and there is free shipping worldwide on all orders. Our items range from comfortable clothing and accessories, feminine hygiene products, heating items, massage and relaxation, TENS Machines for the relief of pain, as well yoga and meditation items since yoga and meditation have been proven to help ease symptoms of Endometriosis and Chronic Pain.

One of the main benefits of shopping at The Endo Shop is that I am always there for my Endo Sisters.
If you feel like you need a little extra support you can email me or reach out to me on social media and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I have been there, and am still suffering from this disease on a daily basis, so I know what you are going through – that caring and personal experience is not something you can get at a department store.



What inspires you and what exactly happened that moved you to do something for all of your Endo Sisters?

Endometriosis can be a terribly lonely disease. Women who suffer with it often face disbelief from family, friends, and often even doctors that they actually do suffer the way that they say they do. For myself, it took over nine years to get a real, surgical, diagnosis and during that time I heard people say that what I was going through was “normal,” that it was “just part of being a woman,” and that I should simply “toughen up.”

Even after my diagnosis, I have often felt misunderstood and that feeling made me want to help other women who felt the same. Having been there myself, I know just how difficult it can be to live with this disease and I want to help other women who live with this as well. We are not alone, there are over 176 million of us worldwide, and it is important that we support each other because sometimes it can feel like our Endo Sisters are the only support we truly have.

Popular Posts