Interview with economist Andrew Charlton

Andrew Charlton is a highly respected economist who has authored two books and currently serves as director of AlphaBeta Advisors. A Rhodes Scholar with a master’s degree and a doctorate in economics earned at Oxford University, Charlton’s previous experience includes his role as Senior Economic Advisor to Australia’s Prime Minister. We have conducted an interview with him.


What are your greatest strengths?

Over the course of my career, I’ve learned to rely on a few personal strengths in particular, including my belief in the value of pragmatism and my ability to consider the impact of second-order implications in economic issues. These strengths, in my opinion, have been instrumental in the success I’ve enjoyed while tackling so many complicated economic issues throughout my professional career.


From economic modeling and forecasting, policy development and analysis, natural resources management, business strategy to transaction evaluation, which is your personal favorite?

Due to my previous experience working in government, I deeply enjoy policy development and analysis as well as economic modeling and forecasting. In my current role, however, I am most interested in taking full advantage of the opportunity to build lasting client relationships that enable AlphaBeta Advisors to have an enduring and wholly positive impact on society.


What kind of international publications and essays do you publish? Why are they important for new business/services development?

I write about a wide range of current and future economic issues I believe are important, including issues pertaining to global climate change, trade, and issues raised through economic modeling and forecasting. One of the most recent essays I published -- “Dragon’s Tail: The Lucky Country After the China Boom” -- detailed the flaws inherent in China’s economic model and offered advice on how companies could protect themselves in the face of the potential for falling commodity prices. When the flaws of China’s economic model were exposed, there were many businesses that substantially benefited from the guidance offered in my essay.


Why do you think more people should study economics and why is this important? What kind of change will it generate?

With a better understanding of the short- and long-term consequences of certain actions -- economic or otherwise -- people will be able to make more informed decisions about the kinds of economic models they choose to support or oppose. Increased interest in economic studies will also help foster meaningful global change by addressing environmental issues as well as issues that cause economic disparities and disadvantages.

What exactly were your contributions to Australia’s success during the global financial crisis?

As the Senior Economic Advisor to the Prime Minister of Australia, I worked with Prime Minister Rudd to develop a strategy that would enable Australia to overcome the complex challenges of the global financial crisis. During this time I also served as Australia’s senior government official at the G20 economic summits and represented the Prime Minister at the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) held in Copenhagen.


More info:

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-charlton-30b5bbb8/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/charlton_ab

Popular Posts