Interview with singer-songwriter JJ McGuigan

Wichita, KS alternative rock singer-songwriter JJ McGuigan was diagnosed with OCD and Depression at age 16. He has since used his experiences and his music to become an advocate for mental health awareness. A drummer since age 13, McGuigan later picked up the guitar and began writing songs at age 20. He attended Newman University and renowned recording school, Full Sail University. Songwriting has now become JJ's main focus and passion, with an emphasis on lyrical creation. After a brief stint in Austin, Texas, he has returned to his hometown of Wichita. We have conducted an interview with him.


Which instruments do you play?

I play guitar, drums, and keyboard


How does that help you in lyrical creation?

It gives me something to create emotions with and melody as well as a cadence to the song.

Who are influencers to your music in the alt-rock genre?

My influences are Staind, Creed, Breaking Benjamin, Cold, Disturbed

What is your musical background?

I’ve been playing guitar for 15 years and writing songs for 12.


What would you like to achieve in the next 5 to 10 years?

To have songs I’ve taken part in creating be placed in films, television and used by major artists.


What is your view about writing songs and advocacy for mental health awareness?

Music was the best therapy for me when I was struggling with my mental health. My goal in music is to do the same for others that music has done for me.

Why is it important to be aware?

It helps lessen the stigma around mental illness and can create a space where someone who is struggling with it feels like they can reach out for help and someone will be there for them.

How was your experience of being the finalist at VH1 "Save The Music" Songwriting Contest?

It was very assuring to me that I am on the right path in pursuing songwriting. It’s a large international contest and to have advanced to be a finalist was tremendous for my confidence.

Which is your top favourite track in your latest 5-song collection featuring vocals by Garrett Crow and Scott Spriggs?

I would have to say it’s “Letter”



More info:

Website: https://www.jjmcguiganmusic.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jjshredder15
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jjmcguiganmusic

Popular Posts