Interview with Santiago Jäger

Santiago Jäger is an artist living in Uruguay. He works as a Project Manager at a Digital Marketing Agency but he is planning an Art Residency in Europe next year and live in Europe traveling, painting and creating. We have conducted an interview with him.

Santiago Jäger

Do you follow any art philosophy or painters art style when you create your art?
If I have to choose a contemporary artist from which I got quite inspired when I started painting, I would have to say Gerhard Richter. I learned about painting in layers with the acrylic dissolved in water as to be able to paint layer after layer and keep seeing parts of the layers below. Also I was very inspired by Franz Ackermann, his technique and his use of colours. And in my childhood I was deeply inspired by Jackson Pollock and his biography.

Which are the most inspiring moments? What activities inspires you most readily?
The most inspiring moments are at night when I'm alone with my music in my atelier in contact with fresh air. Reading and meditating are also activities that inspire me for painting.


How long do you spend on one piece of artwork?
I usually can spend between 2-4 weeks with one artwork. I need to contemplate the drying of my canvas to keep adding layers so the colors won't get mixed.

Do you agree: “Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.” ― Oscar Wilde Why/why not?
“Energy and motion made visible – memories arrested in space” Jackson Pollock. I agree with this one since I think everything that surround us is a reflection of our thoughts and our own energy. And I always try to represent energy and motion on my artworks.

What are your dreams?
My dream is being recognized worldwide for my work - I want people to see my artworks and immediately recognize who the artist is.


Popular Posts