Colin McGuire photographs

Colin McGuire is a commercial photographer based in Columbus, Ohio but he works all over the US and overseas as well on location as well as in his own studio. We have conducted an interview with him.

Colin McGuire
What is your approach to your Photography work?
I love what I do and work very hard to make it be the best it can possibly be. So my official motto is 'work hard, do good work and have as much fun as possible in the process!'

How do you work with light and what kind of photography do you enjoy making most?
Because my style is very natural looking, I always start with available light. However the light is always modified and it and often supplemented with strobe. But at the end of the day my photography shouldn't look like it's lit but just look like the light happened to be beautiful that day. In terms of what photography I enjoy making the most the answer is -everything! From personal work that I do just for the sake of doing that to every commercial shoot I do, I put my everything into each shoot and thoroughly enjoy it. I just love the medium and the fact that I can make a good living from it is a giant bonus.


What are your secrets to capturing shots that are natural, genuine and believable?
I get my subjects to role-play so essentially they are acting through a scene and therefore the moments I capture tend to feel very genuine and believable looking.

What goes into a shoot, and what kind of details and planning do you take?
Every shoot is different and therefore the production planning tends to be based on the specifics of that particular shoot. Some are pretty low production, maybe just a make up artist or prop stylist and a couple of assistants. Other shoots I do are very involved, often with a crew of 12 or 13 people, plus days or weeks of planning and prep in advance.





Popular Posts