Interview with Patrick S. Brooks


Patrick S. Brooks is an illustrator and writer based in Yorkshire, UK. He works digitally in Photoshop and creates children’s illustrations. He has two YA fiction novels in different stages of development. We have conducted a short interview with him.


How long have you been in illustration work?
I have been drawing and illustrating since I was a child. Frequently I drew characters and scenes from animated shows and films, and would then create my own characters and write stories about them. This deep interest continued throughout my education. I used many different types of media during high school and found that I particularly enjoyed working with pastels. In 2000, I began using Photoshop at college for my Art diploma and found that I really enjoyed working this way. During my Art degree after a book signing with Neil Gaiman for his picture book ‘The Wolves in the Walls’, I decided to focus primarily on children’s picture book illustrations. Since graduating I have worked as a freelance illustrator and have also increased my portfolio of personal illustration work.


Who inspires and had an influence on you/your works the most?
An early influence was my grandfather Brooks, a painter who worked with oils and acrylics. As a child, I was influenced by American/European/Japanese animation and also science fiction and fantasy films. Marvel and DC comics and animated shows were a large influence growing up - especially X-Men and Batman: The Animated Series. Video games such as Earthworm Jim, Sonic the Hedgehog and the Final Fantasy series were also a large influence. I have found much inspiration from Disney animation, anime - particularly Studio Ghibli films, and modern American cartoons. I am inspired by illustrators Mary GrandPré, Brett Helquist, Tony DiTerlizzi, Dave McKean and Doug Tennapel. I am also inspired by illustrators that I have discovered through the weekly Twitter illustration challenge #colour_collective, such as Penny Neville-Lee (who founded Colour Collective), Tim Budgen, Karl Newson, Lucy Fleming, Denis Alenti, Mark Bradley, Karl West and many others. For both my written and illustration work I am inspired by faith, spirituality, dreams and nature.


Have you worked on any YA literatures?
I currently have two YA novels in different stages of development. My first novel is a YA fantasy/horror called ‘Deathcat Sally’, which will be released in 2016. The story follows a young woman who, after accidentally knocking over a cat called Zachary and waking from coma, finds half of his talking spirit is fused to her shoulder. Together they are drawn into an eerie place called ‘No Man’s Land’, a realm filled with animal spirits and an unknown malevolent presence, and must solve the mystery of why they are bound together. The other YA novel I have in development is a science fiction/horror called ‘Cyborg Critters’. This story follows a bionic guinea pig who escapes a scientific facility with two other cybernetic animal allies: a rabbit and a ferret. They journey together across America and find themselves facing a giant sentient bio-mechanical life form that threatens all life on the planet.


What are your favourite genres?
I mostly enjoy science fiction, fantasy and horror. I like film series such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Terminator, Aliens and Ghostbusters. There are many indie lesser known films I like as well. I also enjoy animated films such as The Lion King, Akira, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and other Studio Ghibli films.


Do you have a favourite media?
I now prefer working digitally in Photoshop to create my illustrations. I have used Photoshop for 15 years and enjoy learning new skills every day.

More info you can find at P. S. Brooks's Facebook:

Popular Posts